INSPIRE . CARE . ACT
Our Mission Statement
The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Indiana, PA is a religious community grounded in love, support and acceptance. We commit to
- Inspire and nourish the personal spiritual journey
- Apply the values and principles of Unitarian Universalism in our living
- Promote compassionate and responsible thought and action in the world
We are guided in this mission by the seven principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association. As a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association, we covenant to affirm and promote
- the inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- a free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- the goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
- respect for the interdependent web of life of which we are a part.
The mission of the First UU Church of Indiana, PA is to inspire one another, to care for each other and the world around us, and to act in accordance with the principles of our faith while continually working to create a more just and equitable world.
We are a supportive and nurturing faith community, honoring and respecting the
rich diversity of those gathered here. Recognizing that warmth, beauty, kindness, and passion will shape us as a congregation of goodwill, generosity, presence, and compassion, we covenant to live out our highest ideals of how to be in relationship.
Living our first UU Principle of affirming and promoting the inherent worth and dignity of every person, we promise to treat each other with respect, love, and kindness; to listen to one another carefully; and to express our truths with politeness and honesty.
Understanding that community is essential to our faith tradition, we promise to participate in the life of our congregation to the best of our ability; to create together a safe and supportive environment; and to share compassionately in the joys and sorrows of each other’s lives.
Committing to practice the democratic process as envisioned in our UU Principles, we promise to engage in open, caring, and informed discussion of decisions that affect us; to acknowledge each one’s right to hold dissenting opinions and advocate for change; and to respect the results of congregational and leadership votes and decisions for the betterment and fulfillment of the whole.
Version 9.2 (revised 8/16/2016)